Thursday, June 10, 2010

Car Seat Clinic

Yesterday I went to a car seat clinic and got my kids seats checked.  Even though my oldest is 8 this is the first time I have actually done this.  It was worth going to for a number of reasons. 

First my 8 year old has been asking to get out of her booster seat as none of her friends still use them.  I knew she wasn't ready to get out yet but having someone else tell her helps me not look so much like the mean mommy.  She actually will be in a booster for a while yet as she has to grow 4-5" to be the right height to fit our van seats without a booster.

Secondly my 6 year old's seat was expired (which I did know but had continued to use it for a while anyway).  But while we were there we entered a draw for a new booster seat which we won.  So now she has a new, not expired seat.

My sons car seat was pretty good as it is a new one (Thanks to everyone who gave us this seat.  It is really nice).  The technician did lower the straps one notch.  When rear facing the straps are to be at or below the shoulders.  Apparently ours were a little above.  One other thing to remember when using an infant seat is to always put the carrying handle down. 

So if your community is having a car seat clinic head on over there and get your car seats checked.  While we there they also checked to see if any of our seats had been recalled.  And who knows you may win a prize.

On a side note my son went for his 4 month immunization shots today.  He now weighs 15 lbs 9 oz and is 25.8 inches long.  That puts him at about the 70th percentile for weight and the 75th for height.  So he is a big boy.  Much larger than my girls who were routinely at around the 10th percentile.

No comments:

Post a Comment